Our madeleine tray had been sitting in our kitchen for months and had never been used, so we thought we would give it a try after hearing how quick and easy they are to make. We weren’t let down! These lemon and poppy seed madeleins are great with a cup of tea in the afternoon or with your morning coffee!
Ingredients: Makes roughly 24 depending on your mould size
160 grams self raising flour
160 grams caster sugar
150 grams melted and cooled unsalted butter
3 teaspoon poppy seeds
Zest of 3 lemons
Juice of one lemon
2 tablespoon icing sugar
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs and add the sugar. Whisk with a balloon whisk until it is light and creamy looking. You are trying to get as much air into the mix as possible to make it light.
- Add the flour using a sieve, and fold in with a spatula, trying to preserve the air.
- Add the poppy seeds and zest of three lemons. We like to taste after adding each lemon zest to make sure it isn’t too strong.
- Now pour in and mix the melted butter.
- Brush the madeleine tray with some melted butter, dust with flour and then bang the tray on a hard surface so the excess flour comes off.
- Pour the mix into the tray such that it is level, and bake at 180c for 10 minutes.
- Once done, we like to dip one side of the madeleine into a mix of 2 tablespoon icing sugar and the juice of one, potentially two lemons (taste the dip before using and adjust).