These crumbly shortbread biscuits are very easy to make and make a great snack, particularly if you like a hint of heat!
Ingredients (makes c.24):
120 gram unsalted butter, room temp
225 gram plain flour
60 gram caster sugar
1 tablespoon (light flavour) // 2 tablespoon (medium flavour) // 3 tablespoon (strong kick) of pink peppercorns
- Beat room temperature butter with sugar until creamy. Once done, add the flour in 4 parts, mixing each time. You should end up with breadcrumb like texture by the end after using your fingers to rub the ingredients together.
- Use a pestle and mortar to crush the pink peppercorns into fine pieces. If you like stronger kick keep larger chunks as in the image.
- Add peppercorns and bring mixture together in a ball and refrigerate for 1 hour. When forming the ball, you don’t want to knead it, you want to push it together, otherwise it will not be short and crumbly.
- Roll 1cm thick and cut with a knife into rectangles / shape of your choice. Place on a lined baking tray and bake at 180C for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a rack – this is when they will become hard.
1 thought on “Pink Peppercorn Shortbread”
I don’t know about the taste, but the peppercorns give the shortbread a beautiful pop of color!