This is a quick and easy recipe for a light summer bite. Griddled ciabatta rubbed with garlic, topped with whipped ricotta laced with fresh lemon zest, topped with vibrant green peas.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a starter):
1 loaf of ciabatta – can be stale
1 garlic clove, for rubbing on bread once griddled
2 cups frozen peas
250 grams ricotta cheese
Zest of 1 lemon
Olive oil (for bread and peas), and extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling at end)
- Whip the ricotta in a bowl using a spatula, with salt, pepper and the zest of half a lemon. Taste – and add more of each as you see fit. We like the cheese to have a nice fresh lemon tang so usually add a bit more. Leave aside until ready for plating.
- Cut the ciabatta into into 2cm thick slices. We used 3 per person.
- Drizzle olive oil onto both sides – always griddle the food and not the griddle pan. Make sure the bread is nicely coated in the oil on both sides.
- On a medium heat griddle pan, griddle the bread for around 2 minutes on each side, until nicely charred and crusty. As soon as they are done, use 1 garlic clove cut in half and rub it on the bread. This will provide a nice garlic bread style flavour.
- Meanwhile, boil the peas for around 2-3 minutes. Taste one to ensure they are cooked and not cold. Transfer to a bowl and add some olive oil, salt and pepper. Use a fork to crush around half of the peas. Taste for seasoning and adjust as required.
- Assemble the dish by spooning on the ricotta and topping with peas. Add a twist of pepper and some extra virgin olive oil to finish.