This spicy aubergine loaded with garlic, ginger and chilli is a tasty and quick supper dish from the Dumpling Sisters. We are big fans of the spices used in this dish so we increased the quantities to provide an extra kick. This is great served with some steamed rice and tastes just as good, if not better the next day!
Serves two to three as a main course.
2 large aubergines
6 cloves of garlic
5cm piece of ginger
1 red chilli – with seeds if you are brave
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
5 spring onions, finely chopped + 1 more for garnish
1.5 teaspoon cornflour
For the sauce:
300ml vegetable stock
4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- You want to prepare everything in advance and leave chopping the aubergines to last so you can put them straight into the wok to prevent them going brown.
- In a blender (or by hand), finely chop the garlic, ginger and red chilli.
- Prepare the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix so it is ready to add.
- Cut the aubergine into batons, around 1.5 cm thick and 5cm tall.
- Heat wok to medium high, and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the aubergines and stir fry for around 3 minutes until some of them start to caramelize. Tip into a bowl and leave aside.
- Turn the heat to medium, and add some more oil. Fry off the ginger, garlic, chilli and spring onion for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the oyster sauce, and tip the aubergines back into the pan. Now add the sauce mix and leave to simmer on medium for around 2-3 minutes.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of water into the cornflour and stir in a small bowl before adding to the wok. Stir and you should see the sauce thicken within 30 seconds. Leave to cook for one more minute. Taste for seasoning – add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve with steamed rice, and garnish with more spring onion and chilli.